The Cottage by the Pond is rated NAS M3a accessible for full time wheelchair users who need the help of a carer and maybe a hoist when transferring from the wheelchair.
The cottage is a specially converted barn with level access from the level south facing courtyard. It has three bedrooms and sleeps six.
- Bedroom 1 is always a twin bedroom which has electric profiling beds with side rails.
- Bedroom 2 has zip-and-link beds so you can choose one super king or two twin beds.
- Bedroom 3 is up a small staircase. It has zip-and-link beds so you can choose one super king or two twin beds.
- Large accessible bathroom on the ground floor with Closomat automatic wash-and-dry toilet, a low sided bath with grab rails - the bath has clear under space for a hoist when needed, just let us know. There is a wheel-in shower with a wall mounted seat and a wheeled shower chair is available on request.
- Small ensuite bathroom between downstairs bedrooms.
- The large sitting room has an electric rise and recline chair.
At Ilam Park National Trust, a mile down the road from Beechenhill, there is a Changing Place. It is fully accessible and equipped to help with assisted changing for disabled people.
Have a look at the Changing Place room here: Ilam Park National Trust
Find other Changing Places in the area here: Changing Places Toilets
Welcoming Deaf People
At Beechenhill Farm, we want to welcome deaf people and give you the best holiday we can. Alex knows some basic BSL and can help answer your questions and let you know (with some quick revision) about local information.
We will always try to:
- Be patient and give the person space.
- Notify people of changes to services.
- Help to alleviate social anxiety.
- Give people plenty of processing time.
- Take steps to reduce sensory overload.
We can provide the following:
- A pre-stay visit, to help familiarise the guests with us and the accommodation.
- Printed version of the sensory story/guide.
- Ear defenders.
- Move furniture and objects to reduce stress and anxiety.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any special requirements or needs for your stay. We are very happy for you to come and meet us and see your accommodation.
Alex Gray - 01335 310274
The following Extra Equipment Available:
Boma 7 Off-Road Wheelchair
The most exciting extra thing is, we have to say, the Boma off-road wheelchair. What a brilliant thing! And it can be delivered to you here at Beechenhill.
- Hire for half or full day
- Powerful electric drive with light twist grip control
- Incredible fun – join the family on tracks and trails
- Safe and simple to operate….twist to go…let go to stop
- Left or right hand control
- Rugged off-road tyres
- Very stable with low centre of gravilty
- Suitable for 16+
- Up to 15 miles range
- David or Felicity on 01629 540262 to arrange hire and delivery
Electric Profile Bed
In one of the ground floor bedrooms there are two single electric profile beds, one of those has height adjustment to create a table top height bed as well as independent operation to support the neck, back, hips, knees and head. This bed has integral bed rails. The other single bed has an adjustable frame allowing independent operation to support the neck, back, hips, knee and head. There is a bed rail in the Cottage by the Pond.
The Oxford Major Hoist fits under this bed.
Closomat Automatic Wash and Dry Toilet. Allows more independence for people with mobility problems.
Mobile Shower Chair
Please request the mobile shower chair on booking the Cottage by the Pond and we will make sure it is ready and waiting for you. It has detachable soft seat and foot rests and drop down arm rests.
Oxford Major 190 hoist
Fully adjustable mobile electric hoist. Please bring your own sling. Please request the hoist on booking the Cottage by the Pond and we will make sure it is ready and waiting for you.
Tubular Commode Chair
The tubular commode chair has adjustable height and detachable arms. Please request the commode chair on booking the Cottage by the Pond and we will make sure it is ready and waiting for you.
Electric Recliner Chair
In the big sitting room in the Cottage by the Pond is a comfortable rise and fall recliner chair, so helpful for those who find it difficult to get up from a sitting position.
Bath Boards and Seat
These are always available in the Cottage by the Pond. The Derby Bath Board fits across top of bath. and the Derby Bath Seat, with rubber stickers fixes to the bottom of the bath.